FRIDAY, JANUARY 29, 2016
Key Bible Verse: “Anyone who hears and obeys these teachings of mine is like a wise person who built a house on solid rock. “ (Matthew 7:24, CEV)
Dig Deeper: Matthew 7:21-27
If we do surrender to God and embrace obedience to his purposes as a lifestyle, there are many and great benefits that follow:
- Obedience to God makes it possible for us to discover our purpose in life. God sets our destiny, and we discover our destiny by obeying the known will of God (Rom. 12:1-2).
- Obedience produces greater intimacy with God. Those who obey him are closer to him – they share his wisdom and receive his favour (Isa. 66:2).
- Obedience lays a foundation of godly character in our lives. Those who build their lives on obedience to God have a sure foundation during the storms of life (Matt. 78:234-27).
- Obedience allows God to form Christ in us. By submitting to God’s work in us, we become more like Jesus, and the more we become like Jesus, the more we live for the sake of others (Col. 1:21-29).
- Obedience gives God great glory and us great satisfaction. The more we find our satisfaction in God, the more he finds his glory in us (Isa. 43:4-7, John 10:10).
– Floyd McClung in Follow
My Response: What hardships or difficulties have come my way because I’ve chosen to follow Christ? How have I benefited from being a Christ-follower?
Thought to Apply: God always gives his best to those who leave the choice with him. – Jim Elliot (martyred missionary)
Copyright © 2016 by Christianity Today/Men of Integrity magazine and Promise Keepers Canada. All rights reserved.